May 1, 2008

Weight blog/future pregnancy

For any interested, I've started a weight loss blog. The URL is http://losingweightnotsanity.blogspot.com/ .

One of my main motivations for losing weight (beyond self-respect and a better body image) is my future children. Studies show that overweight moms are likely to bear overweight kids, even if they shed the weight before pregnancy. The study was done on second children. I'm hoping that by losing the weight while I'm still young, and before my first child, I can help tame the effects my eating and lifestyle mistakes will have on my kids. Michael would have kids now, if I would agree to it, but we're not ready, in my opinion. Hopefully we will be after another year. I'm emotionally ready to have a child, but I don't think our lives are ready to handle it. Also, I'm not 21 yet, and would like to celebrate my 21st birthday properly. I can't do that if I'm pregnant, and I've been waiting for this with bated breath for about five years. I'm not saying I've never had a drink, but I'd like to be able to buy my own (and therefore have more control over what I drink and how much), and maybe even have a glass of wine with dinner when we eat out. Back to future pregnancy, I want to be a healthy weight when I get pregnant. Right now my BMI is 34. According to some charts, that means I'm morbidly obese. Most just say obese, with morbid obesity starting around 35. I'm not okay with that. I know I'll gain weight when I'm pregnant, but I don't want that weight gain to put me back up over 200 lbs, which is what it would do right now. I was 220lbs my senior year in high school, and I'm never going to back to that. If I were to get pregnant right now, I know I would be right back there, as I'm 198 right now. So, healthy weight here I come; this time, I'll make it there, and stay there.

No comments: